Monday, December 24, 2007

So this is Christmas, and what have you done?

*Editor's note: I wrote this post, published it, and when I went back to read it over I found a giant..but hilarious...mistake. I've left it in, because it made me giggle so much I couldn't delete it. When I refer to myself as a 23 year old, please note that is a huge lie. I am actually only still 22, and have no idea why today my little fingers decided to type out 23 without a second thought. Enjoy. :)*

This song, though not usually one my favorites this time of year, has been playing through my head for about the last week. Not only did one of my favorite bands record a cover of John Lennon's original this year, but on Saturday night I heard the famous Portuguese version at a live Christmas show put on by the city of Natal.

So, tomorrow is Christmas, and what have I done? Another year (almost) over, and a new one just begun. Although I seriously doubt this is what John meant when he penned the chorus (I'm pretty sure his was a more global, political message, given that the title of the song is "Happy Xmas (War is Over)", I've been thinking about what exactly I've done since the last Christmas. Turns out 2007 was a big year in the life of this 23 year old. Since the last Christmas, I have:

-Graduated from college














-Been in a wedding














-Visited the Motherland (America's)


















-Moved home with my parents for 3 months






(Haha...I actually enjoyed my 3 months at home, I just thought the picture was a funny illustration)






-Sold my baby (not really a baby, just my car)














-Moved to the Motherland (mine)














-Moved into my own apartment. In Brasil.














-Attempted to learn another language




(Haha...just kidding again...except not kidding at all...)










-Introduced Brasilians to Thanksgiving














-And today I am leaving to celebrate my first Christmas ever without my family. I expect it to be the same as Thanksgiving, where I try to rationally make myself emotional about the fact that I'm away from family, but get too distracted by this ->>

to get too upset about it. :)










I'll be spending Christmas in Genipabu (the location of the Carnatal retreat) with Roberto and Marisa's family and a few other church members. I've been promised that it will be nothing but a relaxing 3 days, with a huge Christmas Eve dinner tonight at midnight. I'm excited to be a part of this tradition with my new family here in Natal, and I guess I am willing to forgo a white Christmas for a beachy one!

I wish all of you, any of you who are reading this, a very Merry Christmas. Thanks to all of you who took the time to send me holiday cheer on the last post. I'm still accepting gifts, by the way. :)

1 comment:

Lacy Almeda Hefley said...

Merry Christmas! Feliz Natal! I hope you had a wonderful Natal in Natal! It's crazy to think that I'll be in your shoes next year.