Thursday, March 22, 2012

We have to love our people

Even though I'm younger than all but one of them, I think my Monday night basic conversation students are positively adorable. There's something about beginner English-learners that makes everything they say charming, and, often, hilarious.

I shared in this post last week that our "English class" is actually a Bible study. This past Monday we read the story of the Good Samaritan. At the end of class, after we had done the necessary translating to make sure everyone understood, I asked for them to tell me, in English, what the point of the story was. I wrote their answers verbatim on the board and couldn't bring myself to erase them at the end of class. Nor could I bring myself to erase them the next day, or the day after that. So, knowing that they'd eventually be erased, I snapped some pictures so that you could see what our class is really about.

What does the story of the Good Samaritan mean to you?


We have to love our people-- that we know and that we don't know, too. 
We have to love God with all our heart and soul. 


We must share our life/things with the people who need it. 

How about you? If you had to sum up the story of the Good Samaritan in one sentence, what's the lesson it has taught you?

1 comment:

boyd2 said...

People busier, wealthier, and more important than I are doing more for others than I. Here's why. The Good Samaritan was clearly going somewhere with purpose. He had to leave the guy in some else's care while he took care of his business. He was clearly wealthy since he paid in advance and promised to pay whatever else was needed (no doubt music to the innkeeper's ears). He must have been an important guy or at least well-known enough to be trusted by the innkeeper to come back and finish paying. Yet he stopped. And helped. Even though.